Tuesday, June 1, 2010

JPS 1st grade Field Trip


As a working mom, I strive to make it a priority to attend each one of the kids school functions, including daily field trips. Last year, Cam and I went with his class to the farm, this year, Frederik Meijer Gardens. We had a blast. Last year, I had the priviledge of riding the bus with fifty kids to our destination. Now, for those of you parents that have had the pleasure of riding the bus before, you know I am being very sarcastic when I say pleasure. Riding the bus is no fun. Call me spoiled, but I am too old and yes, too spoiled to ride in vehicle with no air and screaming kids. I did my time for 10 plus years when I was in elementary school! So, this time, I drove with two other moms, one of who graduated with Jeff. Small world.
Once the kids were off the buses and settled, we divided into groups. Kathy Shavinksi and I were paired with Cam, Jordan, Logan and Jack. Each child was given a to-do packet about 10 pages long of places to visit and learn about. Who would have thought we would be doing school work on an end of the year field trip? Nonetheless, it was fun and entertaining.

We took time to read a story and make bracelets in between our adventures. There was a lot to see and do. We visited the Log Cabin, The Treehouse, The Children's Garden, The glass artwork (amazing!) and even stopped to see the turtles. We got a little nervous when visiting the waterfall as the boys decided it would be fun to try and sit and walk along the rocks on shore. There was one time I think that there was about 8 boys all messing around the same spot and you could hear all the moms gasp in horror as we thought FOR SURE one would fall in.

It was a beautiful day, mid 70's and sunny. We couldn't have asked for better weather or better company. I am reminded at times like these how important it is to be a mom and even more importantly, an involved one. I am blessed to have a flexible job that allows me time away to participate in such fun events. I know Cam and I had a wonderful time, just the two of us!



No comments:

Post a Comment